ME DANIEL ROMANO
B.C.L., LL.B., M.A., B.A., A.A.
Me Daniel Romano joined the Goldwater, Dubé team in 2023 bringing a wealth of expertise and experience with him. Me Romano has been practicing law in Quebec since being admitted to the Quebec Bar in 2007. Prior to joining the firm, Me Romano was the managing partner at Kalman Samuels, Q.C. & Associates Inc., a boutique law firm specialized in family law, personal injury law, immigration law, and international private law.
Upon successfully completing the New York Bar Exam in 1995, and before launching his legal career, Daniel Romano was drawn into the entrepreneurial world, founding and co-founding companies such as H2O Adventures, Teambuilding Montreal, C.A.G.E. Canada, and Spa Mana.
He gained invaluable experience in business, political interests and social activism through his diverse projects which have taken him from Japan to Germany, across the U.S., to the Middle East and to South-East Asia, and spanned various industries, including sportswear, adventure and training, finance, and retail.
With a diverse background in business and law, Daniel has developed a unique approach to his practice. Daniel’s international experience and passion for representing his clients in the courtroom have been instrumental in his legal practice. He is dedicated to having his clients’ voices heard before the tribunals and in negotiations; and especially, to fighting for their rights.
As part of his practice, Daniel is frequently invited to present lectures in law schools and to non-profit federations, social workers, politicians, leaders of NGOs and to other attorneys. He also serves as a mentor to law students at McGill University and to junior attorneys practicing in various domains. Daniel is an active member of several professional associations and non-profit organizations.
Over the past decade, he has served on the boards of or acted as President of several non-profit organizations including La Mandragore (Medieval and World Music Conservatory), the Pointe Claire Canoe Club and the Imperial House Co-Owners Association, Citizens Against Government Encroachment, and Les Guerriers de la Montagne.
In addition to his legal career, he is a martial arts enthusiast and an accomplished athlete. Daniel has competed around the world in sports as diverse as kayaking, skiing, and martial arts. He holds various degrees in Moo Duk Kwan, Kyudo, Aikido, Tae Kwon Do, Kendo, Kyokushinkai Karate, and Judo. He also has extensive training in Krav Maga and Russian military combat arts. In April of 2023 he earned second place in the elite division of Canada’s largest full-contact karate competition.
Daniel is fluent in English, French, and Japanese.
QUALIFICATIONS & ASSOCIATIONS
- Graduate of University of Florida, Liberal Arts with High Honours (A.A.), 1985
- Graduate of University of Florida, Philosophy with Honours (B.A.), 1987
- Graduate of University of Hawaii, Asian Studies – Japanese Political Economy (M.A.), 1991
- Graduate of McGill University, McGill Faculty of Law (B.C.L.), 1996
- Graduate of McGill University, McGill Faculty of Law (LL.B.), 1996
- Member of the Quebec Bar since 2007
- Member of the Quebec Bar Association
- Member of the Montreal Bar Association
- Member of the Association of Family Law Attorneys
- Member of the Canadian Prison Lawyers Association
- Member of the ICJ – International Commission of Jurists, Canadian Section
- Member of Lord Reading Society
DO YOU NEED A LAWYER?
Make an appointment with a member of our team today.
LITIGATION & PRACTICE HIGHLIGHTS
Daniel Romano is highly motivated by issues of fundamental justice and how they affect individuals. He is also a vigorous advocate for parental rights. This devotion has helped him obtain noteworthy results in the following areas:
Hague Convention. Made and helped solidify jurisprudence stipulating that children must be sent back to the ordinary jurisdiction, even subsequent to successful campaigns of parental alienation. Obtained provision for costs for such cases, which is exceptional in Quebec courts. Droit de la famille — 172010, 2017 QCCS 3894 (CanLII)
Personal Injury. Created jurisprudence and set records in awards for personal injuries, particularly in cases where the injury affects a person’s dignity and psychological well-being. Boucher c. John Abbott College, 2015 QCCS 1255 (CanLII)
Conjugal Violence. Obtained significant Moral and Punitive damages, breaking records in Quebec and in Canada, in a case of conjugal violence. The media reported several activists rejoicing that a ‘door to justice has been opened’ in cases of spousal abuse. M.H. c. O’Brien, 2018 QCCS 4918 (CanLII).
False Allegations. Obtain a stay away order against the spouse making manifestly false allegations of physical and sexual abuse so as to try to gain an advantage in a custody battle. Superior Court of Quebec, Jugement, Hon. Karen Kear-Jodoin, 2018-04-18.
Right to Privacy. Obtained numerous injunctions and Court Orders for the removal of personal or defamatory material from the internet, often followed by damage awards or settlements. Read case
International Law. Served as an expert witness in foreign jurisdictions on topics of International Family Law as it is applied in Canada and in Quebec. Circuit Court of the 11th Judicial Circuit in and for Miami-Dade County, Florida, case No. : 2016-003842 FC 39, et al
- Daniel Romano (2020), Alone in a law office, The Senior Times, Vol. XXXV No 1 October 2020.
- Daniel Romano and Leila Sadeg (2020), By what right can ‘The Government’ do that?, The Senior Times, Vol. XXXIV No 7 June 2020.
- Daniel Romano and Antonio Ostrica (2020), Can Individuals be held liable for spreading COVID-19?, The Senior Times, Vol. XXXIV No 6 May 2020.
- Daniel Romano and Antonio Ostica (2020), Could Sovereign Immunity shield China from COVID-19 law suit? The Senior Times, Vol. XXXIV No 5 April 2020.
- Daniel Romano and Sarah Robidas Afshari (2020), Defamation: How much is my reputation worth? The Senior Times, Vol. XXXIV No 4 March 2020.
- Daniel Romano and Antonio Ostrica (2019), Balancing financial obligations to children and senior parents, The Senior Times, Vol. XXXlV No 2 November 2019,
- Daniel Romano (2019), A personalized suggestion about last wills and testaments, The Senior Times, Vol. XXXl11 No 9 September 2019,
- Daniel Romano and Margherita Morsella (2019), Executing out-of-province support judgments, The Senior Times, Vol. XXXIII No. 8, July 2019.
- Daniel Romano, Should I get a divorce or a separation?, The Senior Times, Vol. XXXIII, No. 7, June 2019.
- Daniel Romano, Should I get a divorce or an annulment?, The Senior Times, Vol. XXXIII, No. 6, May 2019.
- Daniel Romano, Divorce among seniors : When considering divorce does age make a difference?, The Senior Times, Vol. XXXIII, No. 5, April 2019.
- Daniel Romano and Justine Covey, We aren’t fighting, but we do want to get divorced. How do we proceed?, The Senior Times, Vol. XXXIII, No. 3, December 2018.
- Daniel Romano and Margherita M. Morsella, Yes, I’m getting married again. What should concern me?, The Senior Times, Vol. XXXIII, No. 2, November 2018.
- Daniel Romano, Child support for children over 18: My child is 21. How long must I keep paying child support?, The Senior Times, Vol. XXXIII, No. 1, October 2018.
- Daniel Romano, What are my rights as a common-law spouse? The Senior Times, Vol. XXXII, No. 9, September 2018.
- Daniel Romano, Can grandparents obtain rights to see grandchildren when parents oppose?, The Senior Times, Vol. XXXII, No. 8, July 2018.
- Daniel Romano, (2005); Les priorités, les bonnes… Une lettre ouverte au ministre de la santé, Barricades — Le journal de l’Institut des affaires publiques de Montréal, Vol. 1, No. 1, 2005.
- Daniel Romano, Un bâillon contre la liberté d’expression au Québec, The Métropolitain, 23 avril 2010.
CONFERENCES AND PRESENTATIONS
- Montreal — Indigenous Law and a Study of Lance Regan’s Case; Digital Conference via University of Ottawa Faculty of Law
- Montréal — Law and Legal Information; Presentation for incoming directors and volunteers of the Legal Information Clinic at McGill University, 2019-07-08.
- Montréal — Presentation to the Minister of Justice re Family Law Reform in Quebec, in favour of a Rebuttable Presumption for Equal Shared Parenting and a maintenance of the Civil Law standard of not recognizing Common Law Marriages without an explicit contract (Opt-in as opposed to Opt-out) 2019-05-08
- Paris — Presentation : La Violence conjugale et les inégalités entre les femmes et les hommes : une étude récente des approches judiciaires et législatives au Québec et au Canada. 8ème Congrès International des Recherches Féministes dans la Francophonie, Université Paris Nanterre, 2018-08-27.
- Paris — Presentation : La Convention sur l’élimination de toutes les formes de discrimination à l’égard des femmes — Réalités actuelles, 8ème Congrés International des Recherches Féministes dans la Francophonie, Université Paris Nanterre, 2018-08-27.
- Montréal — Le processus juridique en droit de la famille et l’implication des travailleurs sociaux; Présentation commandité pour le CIUSSS Centre-Sud-de-l’Ile-de Montréal, CLSC des Faubourgs et le Centre intégré et universitaire de santé et de services sociaux du Centre-Sud-de-l’Île-de-Montréal (CCSMTL), 2018-10-11.
- Montréal — Law and Legal Information, and the Community Legal Information Press; Presentation for incoming directors of the Legal Information Clinic at McGill University, 2018-07-31
- Westmount — Injury and Liability in the Alpine Ski Industry; Chabad Westmount Summer J-Law Symposium, Continuing Legal Education (CLE) presentation for legal professionals, Chabad Westmount, 2018-06-07.
- Sainte-Adèle — Ethical Dilemmas : Comparative Studies — Law and the Politics of Ski Instructing; Chabad Westmount J-Law Symposium, Continuing Legal Education (CLE) presentation for legal professionals and law persons, Mont Gabrièl Resort & Spa, 2018-02-03.
- Montréal — Law and Legal Information; Presentation for incoming directors of the Legal Information Clinic at McGill University, 2017-06-06.
- Montréal — Three Questions about Law (Panelist); McGill Pre-Law Society, McGill University, 2017-02-23.
- Montréal — International Judgments — A Business and Family Law Perspective, McGill Business Law Association, McGill Family & Youth Law Student’s Association, McGill University Faculty of Law, 2016-11-22.
- Montréal — Law and Legal Information; Presentation for incoming directors of the Legal Information Clinic at McGill University, 2016-07-28.
- Montréal — Les différences entre le divorce, la séparation et l’annulation de mariage, Présentation pour les employés de Financière First National SEC., Montreal, 2017-12-06.
- Montréal — Droit de la Famille et droit international privé; Présentation d’activité de formation reconnue en vertu du Règlement sur la formation continue obligation des avocats, Centre de Justice de Proximité, Grand Montréal, 2015-04-19.
- Westmount — The Law and Self-Defense; Chabad Westmount JLaw Symposium, Continuing Legal Education (CLE) presentation for legal professionals and law persons, Chabad Westmount, 2014-05-22.
- Montréal — Déjeuner des hommes pour l’élimination des violences envers les Femmes (Panéliste); Fédération des maisons d’hébergement pour femmes, 2015-11-27.
- Montréal — Using Plain Language to Present Legal Information; Workshop Presentation for Students of McGill University Faculty of Law, Legal Information Clinic at McGill University, 2015-10-13.
- Montréal — Law and Legal Information; Presentation for incoming directors of the Legal Information Clinic at McGill University, 2015-06-29.