ME MARIE-FRANCE OUIMET
Me Marie-France Ouimet is a lawyer at Goldwater, Dubé who obtained her Bachelor of Laws at the University of Montreal and graduated in 2014. She first joined us as a litigation consultant in 2016 and then completed her graduate studies under the supervision of the Dean of McGill University, Professor Robert Leckey.
During her studies, Me Ouimet completed an internship under the Honorable Justices Pierre-Claude Gagnon and Sophie Bourque of the Québec Superior Court. Me Ouimet was also involved at the Juripop Legal Clinic as a project manager for the Advocacy Competition by organizing mock trials for its 150 participants. In addition, she acted as research assistant and proof-reader for professors Amissi Manirabona, Alain Roy and Donato Centomo. In particular, under the supervision of Professor Roy, she wrote comments on articles regarding filiation, adoption and parental authority in the first edition of the Annotated Civil Code co-written by Honourable Justice Benoît Moore of the Court of Appeal of Quebec.
Me Ouimet completed her internship at the Laval legal aid office where she dealt with a large volume of cases in family, housing, personal, administrative and mental health law. She then chose to join the team at the Montreal Legal Aid Office to practice criminal, mental health and youth law.
Me Ouimet was then approached by the Director of Youth Protection of Laval to join their litigation department that was then seized of several urgent and sensitive files.
A highly sophisticated jurist with deep intellectual foundations and litigation experience, Me Ouimet is driven by her passion to represent vulnerable clients against state intervention in their personal lives.
Her practice focuses on litigation in youth protection, criminal law, custody, kidnapping, parental alienation, deprivation of parental authority, conflicts related to the exercise of parental authority, children’s rights, and third party access rights.
QUALIFICATIONS & ASSOCIATIONS
- Graduate of University of Montreal (LL.B.), Faculty of Law, Cum Laude, 2017
- Graduate of University of Montreal (LL.M.), Faculty of Law, 2017
- Member of the Quebec Bar since 2018
- Member of the Young Bar of Montreal
DO YOU NEED A LAWYER?
Make an appointment with a member of our team today.
PUBLICATIONS & CONFERENCES
- Publication entitled Maltraitance des enfants : plus jamais, et pourtant…, in Le Devoir, May 21, 2019.
- Master’s thesis entitled Réflexion critique sur la relativisation du droit à la protection de l’enfant : les distinctions de traitement du signalement des situations de compromission dans la Loi sur la protection de la jeunesse et dans la législation encadrant la profession d’avocat, University of Montreal, 2017.
- Publication entitled Une femme sur trois, un homme sur six, in Le Devoir, June 1, 2017.
- Presenter of the conference entitled “The Secrets of a Successful Career in Law”, Dawson College, Department of Law, Society and Justice, February 21, 2017.
- Publication entitled Aveuglement volontaire, in Droit inc, December 9, 2016.
- Presenter of the conference entitled L’exercice conjoint de l’autorité parentale : la situation juridique du beau-parent repensée dans une perspective centrée sur l’enfant, Canadian Bar Association, Colloquium on développements récents en droit de la famille, 17 October 2016.
- Interview with Céline Gobert entitled Quels développements récents en droit familial?, in Droit inc., September 21, 2016.
- Open letter entitled De jeunes juristes somment Québec de réformer le droit familial, in Droit inc., May 25, 2016 and Le Devoir, May 27, 2016.
- Legal academic article entitled Pour la fin des incongruités et incohérences surrounding the defense of moral constraint in Canada, in the Revue générale de droit, 2015.
- Opinion letter entitled #AgressionNonDénoncée – les effet indésirables, in La Presse, November 13, 2014.
- Jurisclasseur Quebec: Droit criminel – Fascicule 2, Actus Reus, in collaboration with Professor Amissi Manirabona, 2013.